- Text goes by without stop, or rewind controls. It may be
too fast or too slow for some readers. Users should always
be provided with controls for animations.
- Animated text makes this page inaccessible to visually
impaired users who may be using screen readers or who have
trouble reading. The same information could be conveyed
using static text and a "next" button.
- The font of the text is too ornate and may be unclear to
some users. Fonts should be readable before all else. Resist
the urge to populate your site with lots of fancy fonts.
Text should also be of a readable size. Avoid tiny text,
and if you use small text, do not anti-alias it and do use
a sans-serif face.
- The balloons are distracting. Animation for the sake of
animation is a bad idea, especially when it interferes with
the site's informational content.
- The music is poorly performed. If a soundtrack is necessary,
it should be professionally produced. Otherwise, there are
libraries of music loops (some royalty-free) to use if you
do not have the resources to produce music. Bad music is
distracting and detracts from the overall quality of the
- There is no mute button for the music. There should always
be a way (clearly marked) to turn soundtracks off, as they
distract some users.
- The music takes a long time to load on a 56k modem. Users
should have the choice whether or not to download long music,
and should be able to proceed quickly without it if they
- The credits are irrelevant. Do not overload the user with
large quantities of spurious information.
- The credits are self-congratulatory and pretentious. A
conceited attitude turns off many users and will not help